The Management Academy - Public Courses
The Management Academy - Public Courses
The Management Academy is a progressive development programme enabling managers of all levels from any business background to enhance their people management delivery.
Who will benefit
Whether you're new to managing, a seasoned manager wanting new ideas or a senior manager wanting to refresh your skills, the Management Academy offers you the most up to date solutions you need to be the best manager you can be.
80% of the UK workforce stated they have left their manager, NOT their organisation. Staggering isn't it?
To think of all that waste of talent and experience due to poor management. In our extensive experience managers get promoted to their role due to one or more of the following reasons:
- They are the best at the technical role they play within the organisation (sales, finance, chef, teacher etc).
- They have been there the longest, so a reward for longevity of service.
- It's their turn as the person before them just left so they get to try!
- If they are not promoted they'll leave and take their skill set (and possibly clients) with them.
Hardly the best criteria for leading and managing your workforce is it? How did you become good at what you do in your job? Training, learning, development and possibly assessments and even qualifications? The same therefore is true to become a better manager.
Why do we think we'll just pick it up as we go along?
This is possible but the price is far higher than any development programme or intervention you'll invest in. The Management Academy offers managers and potential managers the essential skills, tools, experience and pragmatism to get the very best from their people and deliver the results your organisation wants with confidence.
The open Management Academy 2.1 is delivered via 10 interactive modules covering the essentials in:
- People Management
- Performance Management
- Change Management
- Business Management
There are work-based exercises given as homework so all delegates can implement their learning as soon as they return to the workplace.
Delegates graduating from the Management Academy gain confidence in areas where they used to struggle, they are more assertive, enabling, focused and collaborative ensuring people are part of the solution in the organisation and less of the problem.
On completion of the course delegates will:
- Understand their management role and responsibilities
- Recognise the qualities and strengths they have as managers and progress in areas to improve upon.
- Delegate effectively and communicate the desired outcomes and standards
- Develop their own personal adaptable style of leadership that is required in the modern work place
- Inspire others to deliver results
- Give effective feedback consistently and manage performance
- Manage difficult situations and assertively deal with challenging behaviours
- Navigate change in the workplace being mindful of individual psychological reactions to change
- Make informed decisions to improve performance
- Manage time and prioritise effectively for them and their teams
- Manage individual and team performance through effective one to reviews
- Recognise different styles and talents within their team and manage them effectively
The Academy is a journey where sharing and learning from Expressions trainers and other delegates marries the best possible outcomes for meaningful, pragmatic solutions, not what the textbooks say.
I like the "Open" Management Academy because my team get to meet other people in business, different sorts of business and different sorts of people who are within management.
Being able to share that infomation and look at it from a different point of view from a different business has been absolutely invaluable.
It's really inspired people to progress within their role.
It's really been a part of their career plan.
Carey Galloway, Director, Spec Savers
November 2023 Course Dates
The November 2023 Open Management Academy dates:
- 16th November 2023 - Modules 1 & 2: You as the Manager & Personal Effectiveness
The first and final day of the programme will be held face to face in the Surrey area starting at 9:30am and finishing no later than 5:30pm.
Dates for the remaining modules will be confirmed with delegates on day 1.
May 2023 Course Dates
The May 2023 Open Management Academy dates:
- 25th May 2023 - Modules 1 & 2: You as the Manager & Personal Effectiveness
- 13th July - Modules 3 & 4: Effective Communication & Managing Difficult Situations
- 14th September - Modules 5 & 6: Motivation & Lead2Succeed
- 2nd October - Modules 7 & 8: Managing Change & Recruitment and Retention
- 8th November - Modules 9 & 10: Delegation & Managing Performance
The first and final day of the programme will be held face to face in the Surrey area starting at 9:30am and finishing no later than 5:30pm. Venues for the remaining modules will be confirmed with delegates on day 1.
Download Booking Form for The May Open Management Academy.
Module 1 - You as the manager
What is expected of you as a manager in YOUR organisation?
- Not textbook theory, but the specific requirements you need for your team and organisation to thrive.
- You'll design your own 360-degree Capabilities Matrix to gain greater self-awareness and valuable feedback from others to hone your managerial skills into implemented benefits.
- Start with yourself before imposing your management on others.
- Defining Management and what this means in practice not in theory, especially in this changeable world with vast differences between generations of employees.
- Gain a greater understanding of the different roles of the modern manager and how to be good at all of them.
2 - Personal Effectiveness
The importance of the Compass as well as the Clock to be personally effective for you, your team and the organisation.
- Being a Role Model is essential for people to follow. Authenticity is one of the top requirements people look for in their manager, but it is seldom delivered.
- Understand the difference between Urgency and Importance.
- Apparently, EVERYTHING is URGENT these days, but how can it be? Learn how to prioritise efficiently maintaining composure and control to ensure the right things get done in the time you have.
- Handle interruptions with assertiveness and confidence without causing friction.
- Appreciate where you have Control and No control and how to act accordingly.
- Reinstate the element of Choice and the impact this will have on everything we do.
- Manage distractions and take ownership of your workload.
- Learn how to employ a closed door policy as well as an open door policy and why this is essential for your own sanity as well as maximum productivity.
- Understand what's the Best use of my time right now!
3 - Effective Communication
Communication is the root of all problems and the heart of all solutions when we get it right!
- Utilise the power of Active Listening to enhance your effective communication in all situations.
- Appreciate the challenges of modern communication and how to work with them and the people who use them for maximum understanding of your message.
- Use the notion of 'Seek first to Understand THEN to be Understood' to gain the respect you need to be the best manager you can be.
- Ensure you are setting objectives aligned the North Principle in your organisation, communicating the direction with clarity and full understanding.
- Hold productive meetings in a variety of ways to ensure this is the best use of time and resources.
- Learn and utilise the 3 Golden rules of Effective Communication to excel in getting your message across and the results you expect.
4 - Managing Difficult Situations
When managing people there will always be difficult situations. It's inevitable!
- How managers address these situations will determine the level of productivity, individual and collective motivation, as well as team dynamics.
- This module helps delegates understand the difference between passive, aggressive, assertive, and passive-aggressive communication styles so they can use the most effective approach to resolve any situation.
- Delegates will have the opportunity to work on real issues and not hypothetical situations. This means the learning can be applied with immediate effect cutting the costs of fall out and maximising on performance.
- Delegates will feel more confident to deal with these situations in a respectful, assertive, and progressive way.
5 - Motivation
Why can't we motivate our people and if we can't how do we get results?
- Learn how to inspire extraordinary performances from ordinary people.
- Understand and work to enhance the relationship between Motivation and Happiness, because ALL of your people want this. Trust us we've done the research!
- Learn how to use the ABCD model of motivation every day to get the best from a highly motivated workforce.
- Enable people to perform tasks willingly to the best of their ability by enhancing their readiness so they understand the importance and they have the confidence to do it.
- Learn how to Recognise and Value individual and team contribution so your people will want to continue performing at their best level.
6 - Lead2Succeed
What is Leadership and how does it work within your role in your organisation?
- Appreciate the shrinking gap between Leadership and Management in the modern working world.
- Understand how to lead different people in different situations for the best possible results.
- Utilise different approaches for different performance levels and why we seem to favour only one or two.
- Reframe the traditional view on Micro Management and understand how it is useful in certain scenarios to aid people's performance at all levels.
- Generate enhanced desirable followership gaining respect as a leader.
- Take away Task Analysis, the most pragmatic tool in the programme that will fundamentally enhance your performance as a leader.
7 - Managing Change
Change is Happening.
There's no getting away from it, so how do we manage through this in the best possible way with minimum disruption and casualties?
- Learn how to identify resistance and roll with it, don't go against it!
- Understand why people resist and often don't like change.
- Gain pragmatic coaching skills to navigate the best possible course through the change process using the 7 key steps.
- Identify where people are on the change curve and how to manage their journey accordingly.
- Understand why organisations fail in implementing change, what to avoid and what to embrace to get the best results for yours.
8 - Recruitment and Retention
Learn the true cost of recruitment and the impact of poor practice on your bottom line.
- Understand the recruitment process so you can "Plan, Do and Review" for best return on investment.
- The perfect candidate for your organisation is probably not out there. Learn how to identify the right candidate and how to enhance their performance to meet the specific requirements in the role.
- Focus on cultural fit for sustainable success.
- Consider the many different interviewing styles to assess the candidate fit for your team and organisation.
- Really get to appreciate the need, purpose, and power of an effective onboarding programme including, Induction, Orientation, OTJ Development and Evaluation.
- Plan the Development of your new starter so they earn their salary as quickly and as effectively as possible.
9 - Delegate to Accumulate
Realise the Barriers and Benefits of Delegating and Delegation
One of the top two challenges most managers experience in their role is delegating. It is one of the most feared roles managers must embrace to get more things done in the time they have to achieve them. Learn how to get more output for less personal input, maximising your time as a manager, not an expensive operative!
- Master the employment of the different levels of Delegation.
- Plan how you Delegate a task with the maximum certainty of the best results.
- Proportion the right Accountability, Responsibility and Responsiveness through Ownership.
10 - Managing Performance
Conduct effective one to one reviews to inspire performance
- Set, agree and review performance objectives and targets with a clear line of sight to the organisational aims.
- Understand the difference between learning and training and use the most suitable approach to develop the talent within your team.
- Plan and evaluate your learning and development appreciating the different learning styles and learning media to ensure maximum return on investment.
- Embrace managing performance as an on-going relationship and not the traditional appraisal once or twice a year. Give and receive constructive feedback to aid performance improvement.
- Manage behavioural performance as well as target accomplishment for greater employee engagement and results.
Delivery and Investment
The Open Management Academy 2.1
£1,295 + VAT per delegate
£1,250 + VAT per delegate when 2 or more delegates attend the same Open Academy from the same organisation.
I want to say a BIG thank you to Simon Thorpe at Expressions who was my trainer for the Management Academy. I started it at the beginning of the year and due to Covid there was a bit of a delay. Through my redundancy and general difficulty of lockdown Simon has been an amazing help. Simon and his team at Expressions Partnership go above and beyond every time and carried on through lockdown when many stopped.
If you or your company needs any training, development or a nudge in the right direction I highly recommend Expressions Partnership. The training was interactive, even when we moved to Zoom during lockdown. You learn practical and relevant techniques by using real scenarios rather than abstract hypothetical situations. They cater for all types of learners and I felt I was able to leave with a whole new range of skills.
Big thank you and looking forward to when I can put what I’ve learnt into action. - Hannah Foreman